You’ve spent months planning your big event. You chose a fantastic venue, pored over the guest list, hired great entertainment, selected a delectable menu of food and dessert, and crafted a meaningful program highlighting your group’s work.
But how much time did you spend working on the security plan for your event?
In today’s world, event security is more important than ever. Big events attract a lot of attention, so it’s important that security be intentional and strategic. By being proactive and carefully planning your event’s security, you can help eliminate or minimize those potential situations and carry out a successful event.
Though some security considerations may be event-specific, there are some security issue you always need to be aware of, such as:
- What security staffing is already in place at the venue? What are they responsible for?
- Are you allowed to bring in additional security staff? How will they work with the venue’s security team? What is the chain of command?
- How many attendees are you expecting at your event? What is an appropriate number of security personnel to have at the event?
- What protocols are in place in the event of an emergency? What is the exit plan in case of emergency?
- Who gets access to the venue? How will you vet staff, volunteers, and attendees?
- Have you communicated security information about the event with external departments, such as local fire, police, and hospital staff?
Depending on where your event is taking place, you may need to consider additional issues as well. For instance, if you are holding your event in Southern California, you’ll need to address earthquake safety and exit safety in your security plan. If you’re planning an outdoor event, address how you’ll handle things if severe weather strikes.
Consider who may be attending your event in your security plan too. If children will be attending your event, create a clear plan to address what will happen if a child goes missing. If VIPs or celebrities are attending your event, address how you will ensure their safety and security.
At every step of the way in planning your event, document the security protocols you’ve crafted. Keep people in the loop so there are no surprises come the day of the event.
When it comes to planning security for your event, be proactive and don’t wait.
Sunday Sol Events has chosen a special role in the event planning marketplace. We focus exclusively on events that benefit non-profit organizations. We understand the challenges (and opportunities) with committees, boards and budgets. Our goal is to help organizations get smarter about their fundraising events, including auctions, galas, charity walks, keynote speaker events, golf tournaments, and streamline the process. With strategic planning and execution, we create an event experience that your audience won’t soon forget.